This easy crunch yet satisfying savory superfood salad will please everyone! Using all local and seasonal produce is always great. Loaded with mood boosting omega’s (walnut and hemp), fiber, vitamins and naturally sweetened with dried cherries. It adds a variety of textures and great flavors to help combat those holiday cravings! Feel free to replace the dried cherries with any dried fruit of your choice! Anjani Vasson is sharing her recipe with us…
photo: Anjani Vasson
WINTER SUPERFOOD SALAD
2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
2 cups shredded Tuscan kale
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 small green apple julienned
1 cup pomegranate seeds
¼ cup hemp seeds
¼ cup unsweetened dried cherries
1 tablespoon chopped shallot
¼ cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Chop walnuts and toast for 5-8 mins, or until they smell nutty. Let them cool.
- Finely chop (or use a mandolin) Brussel Sprouts.
- Gently cut the stem from the Kale. Roll the leaves and “slice” through or chiffonade.
- Take a crisp green apple – either julienne or slice thin pieces and chop.
- Combine brussels sprouts, kale and apple. Mix so that they are combined well. Add pomegranate and hemp seeds and dried cherries. Mix again.
- Make dressing – either by hand or a small food processer, mix all the ingredients expect the extra virgin olive oil. Mix well and stream in olive oil until emulsified
- Mix in the dressing into the salad and massage it well! Enjoy! It would be best to add dressing before service.