As the days become cooler, we want to keep warm, balanced and calm. Fall is the season of comfort. Nothing is more comforting than sweet and creamy bowl of porridge. Alex Hely-Hutchinson of 26 Grains shares her 5 top tips for an amazing bowl of porridge.
Photos: Issy Croker
Here are 5 components of delicious breakfast bowl…
- TOP QUALITY SEA SALT. No matter which grains you’re using, I find that salt is the best way to bring the liquid and the grains together to make a well rounded bowl of porridge. My favourite sea salt is Halen Mon.
- REAL VANILLA. You got to have the real deal, the little flakes of vanilla not only make it look amazing and earthy but also taste so much better than any vanilla essence or even extract.
- HOME MADE NUT MILK. So easy to make, a super source of good fats and taste so wonderfully creamy and delicious.
- SPICES. Instead of reaching for a sweetener, try playing with different spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and ginger.
- CARROT AND BEETROOT JUICE. When iron rich foods are combined with foods high in vitamin C, they enhance each other’s properties. Oats are a particularly high source of iron and carrots and beetroots are a wonderful source of vitamin C. Try using half water, half juice, and maybe throw in a bit of ginger for some heat.